Gaza’s big mosque Jaa-Maa Gaza al-Kabir, also known as the great Umri Mosque, is the largest and oldest mosque in the Gaza Strip, which is in the old town of Gaza. Many believe that Mussazid stands on the site of an ancient Falician temple. Byzantine used to build a church in the 5th century. But after the conquest of Muslims in the 7th century, it was converted to a mosque. In the 10th century a Arab geographer described it as a lovely. The tower of Great Mosque was damaged in 1033 by an earthquake. In 1149 the Crusaders created a major church, which dedicated to John the Baptist, but in 1187 most of the Ayubian dynasty destroyed, and then in the beginning of the 13th century, Mamluk rebuilt it as a mosque. It was destroyed in 1260 by the Mongols. It was soon restored, but at the end of the century, the earthquake completely destroyed it. After 300 years, the Ottomans restored the mosque. It was severely damaged after the British bombardment during World War I. Later, the Supreme Muslim Council restored it in 1925. The Great Mosque is located in Daraj Quarter, in the heart of the ancient city of Gaza, on the southeast side of the Palestine Square, before Omar Mukhtar Street. Gaza’s gold market is very close to the south side of the mosque, and there is a girls’ school in the north-east, the Salayat Mosque and the Weihada Street on the east.
According to tradition, the mosque stands on the site of the Falinine Temple, which was devoted to the name of God of fertility, Dagon, as Samson mentioned in his Book of Judges. Later, a temple was dedicated to the name of Lord Krishna of rain and grain, which was a fortress. In the local folklore, Samson was buried under the current mosque.
Samrajni Alia Yudosia built a large building as a Byzantine church in 406 AD It may also be that the church was built by Emperor Mariani. Based on the engraving Karihihdi inscription on the upper level of one of the building’s columns, it was proposed in the 19th century that the upper pillar of the building was brought from the Jewish society of 3rd century Kaiseria Maritime. In 1960, locals started using this place very nicely due to the formation of a 6th century society house on the coast of Gaza. In addition to the inscription, the column is depicted by Manrah, Shafaar, Lullab and Atstr, which is surrounded by flowering; The inscription reads the Hebrew son of Jacob and the Greek language. In 600 AD, the church was seen in a mosaic mosaic map.
The western face of the Great Mosque reflects the architectural style of the Crusaders. Photo taken after the British shootout in 1917
During the Abbasid regime in 985, Arab geographer Al-Muqaddashi called the Great Mosque a lovely mosque. However, it does not mention the description of the Crusaders’ grand church in William of Tire. The three islands of the Great Mosque are thought to have been divided into two parts of the Cathedral of Baptist’s Cathedral. It was rebuilt, but in 1294 it collapsed due to an earthquake. ), Qutabai (May, 1498 AD), Qiansah al-Gaori (1516 AD) Bda), and the Abbasid Caliph al-mustaina Billah (1412 AD) to carry the signature of the 16th-century losses are karepurbabarti century mosque was restored; The Ottomans allowed its reconstruction and constructed more than six mosques in the city. Since 1517 the Ottoman rulers of Palestine in the Gaza Strip since 1663 niyantraneabhyantara of Musa Pasha, (deposed Hussein Pasha’s brother) is engraved with an inscription.
Before the reform, the exteriorization of the mosque in the early 20th century
In the late 19th century some Western travelers referred to the Great Mosque as the only historic or architectural structure in Gaza. During the First World War, the Great Mosque was severely damaged during the attack by the Allied Forces in the Gaza Strip in Ottoman Castle. The British claimed that the arms of the Ottomans were preserved in the mosque and it was damaged during the destruction of these munitions. Gives. To increase the number of people in the procession, they ordered a quarter of Gaza to be temporarily stopped.
Mohammed al-raphati June 1, 007 Fatah Bandeau Sandstone is built from Kurakar. Sahn large courtyard of the mosque is surrounded by rounded arches.
Internal wall pellet covered and painted. Marble is used for western doors and dome. The floor covered with bright tiles. There is connected to the main part of the column in front of the church on each side of the cross-legged on a high plinth, which daramno. The top half of the four tiered, the lower end of the tower, hanging verandah stone. Acres are mostly constructed of woodwork and tiles and are frequently renewed. An octagonal drum stone made of an unusual dome and light construction is very similar to most of the Levant’s mosques. The main pillars of the tower on the east side of the church are standing. Its three semicircular arches have been transformed on the basis of monuments.